Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Free as a Bird and Vlogging

Dress, Sweater, Shoes: Thrifted // Necklace: Shaylynn's Faerie Shoppe // Tights: JCP // Tulle Slip: DIY

I finished up my finals for the semester this past week, and now I'm wonderfully free for the next month, until the summer session begins. Last week was incredibly stressful, what with having to write a final speech, study new concepts for statistics, and study for a cumulative statistics final. I had a topic all planned out for my final speech, then as I was outlining it, I realized it wasn't going anywhere, and so I changed to a very different topic for an informative speech--the possible benefits and dangers of fluoride. Fluoride sounds like a pretty dry topic, but I found researching it incredibly fascinating. Of course, all the research was done last minute, but I was able to find loads of relevant information. It's actually something I'd like to look into a little more...it is also personally relevant, because I have a very mild form of a condition called fluorosis on my teeth, which is a sort of mottled discoloration, and that's caused by fluoride (and it's permanent!) and has actually become an increasing problem in the US.
Anyway...the speech wrote up surprisingly quickly, and despite a lack of practice, I delivered it without making too many blunders. I did discover, however, that I cannot say the word "mouthwash"--it came out like "mousewash", and as soon as it came out if my mouth, I had to stop talking to swallow my laughter. When I'm nervous, I tend to fumble with my words, which isn't embarrassing to me so much as it is funny, unless I say something really weird!

Overall, I'm just happy to be finished. For now, at least! Public speaking and statistics were two of my most dreaded required classes, and I am incredibly relieved and grateful to have survived them both and gotten them out of the way!

Oh, and I've been planning a few different vlogs! Since I had to film my speeches, I got more used to making videos with my camera as well as editing them, so I'm more confident with that and with speaking in front of a camera. I'd love to do a sort of Q&A video for my first vlog, and I am looking for questions! So, if you have anything you'd like to ask me, just about anything at all, whether it's personal or whatever, ask away! You can submit questions either in the comments, or send me an email at deckedoutinruffles@gmail.com. I'll try and answer every single question if I can!


Photo 1 - 2012-12-22


20 comments:

  1. So pretty Vicki,, superb! I always Love black colored outfits more than other bright colors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I love black myself, but it's hard for me to put together outfits that aren't *too* black, especially with my very fair skin.

      Delete
  2. Yay for a finished semester and Yay for vlogs. I am super bad at questions: Do you have siblings? What is your daily routine? How does your schooling look like...how does it work?

    Hope some people think of some more.

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big yay for a finished semester, haha! Thanks for the questions! Those are great! I can't wait to answer them!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear it all went so well! It must be nice to have it all out of the way.

    Oh, a vlog will be fun! And I have a question. (What are your thoughts on Clara? {Doctor Who's Clara.})

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very nice indeed!
      Ooh, what a good question. I can't wait to answer it!

      Delete
  4. That dress is so cool! And I'm sure I"ll think of a question...I'm just too tired to think of any right now. Seriously I probably shouldn't be blogging when I haven't slept in so long. Anyways...Doctor Who fan?(or I'm guessing from the above comment How cool is that! I can't remember if I knew that already or not 'cause I just recently found a bunch of whovian bloggers :p

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebekah! Yes, I'm quite a huge Doctor Who fan/fangirl. :P

      Delete
  5. I'd never read of Gothic horror until I read The Picture of Dorian Gray. I really don't like horror, but this kind I don't mind. It doesn't leave me cowering under my bed. It is more suspense. (The Woman in Black comes to mind. Another book I want to read. And about the only horror movie I can sit through.)

    Yes, the quote was Sherlock HOlmes. The first movie with Robert Downey Jr. 8-D

    Can't wait for the vlog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, The Woman in Black...I've been wanting to see that one! It looked like something I might like.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, forgot! Yes, I DID see the Crimson Horror! Awesome episode! Although that red thingy on that lady's chest totally creeped me out! LOL!
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently I didn't publish my last comment! *blush*
    Your outfit is adorable, Vicki! And those tights are awesome! I've never seen them at JCP.
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! They are my new favorite tights right now...if only I could've worn them more before this hot weather started (hot by my standards, anyway). I found them in the clearance section at JCP for $4, which is the reason I picked them up!

      Delete
  8. Oh Vicki! I love your outfit and I'm super excited for your vlog!

    Hmmm... questions to ask?
    1. As a homeschool grad, was it hard to adjust to college work?
    2. What qualities are you looking for in your future husband?
    3. How long does it take you to design an outfit?
    4. Favorite Bible verse?
    5. Most difficult part of being home schooled and what was your most fun moment?
    6. Your most awkward moment ever!

    That's about all I can think of! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for school breaks!! aren't they so nice? :)

    thanks for answering my lipstick question. i wear mary kay and really like it. yours always looks so fresh. :)

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been following your blog for quite awhile now, and was wondering if you could tell me the ups and downs to college online. I'm graduating from high school this month and debating if I should go to an actual campus or do it online. Also, have you ever visited Northwest University in WA? If so, what did you think of it?

    Thanks Vicki! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kelly! I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I talked a little bit about the ups and downs of college online in my vlog (which you can watch here, if you haven't seen it), but if you have any more questions (since I know I didn't talk about all the ups and downs), feel free to send me an email at deckedoutinruffles@gmail.com and I'll get back to you ASAP!(:
      Also, congrats on your graduation!(:
      I have not visited Northwest University, though I have heard good things about it. The only colleges that I visited in WA were community colleges, since I had already planned to take online classes after earning my AA degree.

      ~Vicki

      Delete
  11. Hi Vicki! I thought of a couple of questions for your vlog today:

    - What is your skincare/makeup routine?

    - When did you become interested in fashion/modest fashion? Was it a journey, or have you always enjoyed clothing and accessories?

    - What are some of your favorites - movie, book, snack, color, holiday, article of clothing?

    - Do you have any pets? Do you like animals?

    - What is one (non-personal) Bible verse or item of theology that has either blessed you or puzzled you recently?

    And finally,

    - Which Doctor is your favorite?

    I look forward to your vlog!! Can't wait to match your voice to your face! :-D

    Lots of love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete