Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Dressing for the Occasion

Shirt: Forever21, Thrifted // Skirt: Refashioned // Tights: JCP // Flats: Marshall's // Bag: Target, Thrifted // Belt: Windsor // Scarf: Daiso

I may have mentioned before that I'm taking a public speaking class this semester. It's an interesting class because since I'm an online student, it's online. So for every speech, I have to assemble an audience of at least two people (usually the other four members of my family and my grandmother), and videotape it, then submit the video. According to the last feedback I got from my teacher (two speeches ago), I need to work on my level of energy while presenting--apparently I tend to be more lethargic than animated. For the speech after that, which was my persuasive speech, I decided I would try dressing a little nicer and in colors that I found gave me energy. It seemed to help (though I haven't gotten my grade back, so I wouldn't know!), so I decided to try again for the speech I had to give this past weekend! I wore one of my new favorite tops with a brightly colored scarf and then a cute skirt, my favorite tights, and my favorite shoes. I ended up being very pleased with the look, and I think I was able to channel--hopefully!--just the right amount of energy into my speech. There's just something about dressing a little nicer than you might every day that helps give a confidence and energy boost, at least for me. It may sound a little silly, but I feel like it helps me to stand a little straighter and present better and with more confidence than when I was wearing a more casual, t-shirt and jeans kind of outfit.

This skirt is a new one! Well, new to me, anyway...I'd been looking for a knee-length, casual black skirt for awhile now, and a couple weeks ago, my grandma gave me this skirt, which she had bought for herself, and didn't realize that someone had already tried to alter it and had not only done a terrible job with the hemming, but whoever it was used white thread! She didn't want to have to take off any more length, so she passed it on to me, and I chopped off the bottom, sewed an invisible hem, and voila! A new skirt. I did realize after wearing it, though, that I still need to take in the elastic waistband a few inches...but that won't take long at all.
This scarf is actually kind of funny; my family was at the mall the other week, and my sisters wanted to stop at Daiso (a Japanese store where just about everything is $1.50), and right when I walked in the door, I noticed that they had a whole bunch of pretty chiffon scarves for $1.50! I had been looking for some new scarves, and had just put back a $7 one at Penney's, and I was incredibly excited to see these! I had to keep myself from getting all of them...as it was, I bought three--a tribal print, a floral/gingham print, and the floral one I'm wearing here.

I hope you all are having a wonderful week! This is my final week of school before break, and I'm incredibly excited! Just a few more days!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22




9 comments:

  1. You really have such beautiful taste, Vicki. I love all of your outfits. I'm with you about being excited for break! I just have the rest of this week, and then finals! I can't wait to be home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that scarf! And your hair looks so pretty in this outfit! Funny, I took a speech class online too...and it was kinda weird. But, it worked out alright. I had to assemble my own audiences as well. My speeches are on youtube somewhere...but I couldn't find the link (thank goodness for me!) or I would have shown you :p

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, it is the strangest class I've ever taken...I'm also frustrated because the teacher is not very present in the class, and I haven't received a great deal of feedback on my work even though it's almost the end of the semester!
      I do feel like I've gained some more confidence in my public speaking abilities, though...so I guess that's a good thing. I'm happy it's almost over, though! Just one more speech to go!

      Delete
  3. Nice outfit! Dressing up does give one a boost of energy and more self confidence!!

    I have to do practice teaching before my family too....aren't online classes just fun?

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute outfit! Plus the jean jacket in the first photo makes it look like a completely different outfit! Amazing how one item can do that!
    Sounds like an interesting class, I think it's harder to do stuff like that in front of family-for me anyway. Refresh my mind, what are you majoring in?
    Did you see the latest episode of the Doctor Who? Super good! I'm loving Clara's outfits! I see an inspired outfit on the horizon...LOL! =)
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I LOVE the scarf!!! So pretty and feminine:) Really love it paired with the jean jacket...of course, that's one of my weaknesses, denim and floral.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki,
    You are so beautiful and awesome, I catch myself thinking about you lovely style during the week! You are such a great blogger!!!!!
    I wish we lived near eachother- we'd be great friends,

    Gos Bless,
    Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your dress and the scarf. Scarfs are my favorite accessory to any outfit:) Yours is simply lovely:)

    ReplyDelete