Saturday, May 11, 2013

Swan Lake




Dress: Forever21 // Heels: Target // Jacket: Thrifted // Clutch: Vintage // Earrings, Ring: Gifts

A few weeks ago, my friend Arielle and I went on a rather impromptu night out to see the Pacific Northwest Ballet's production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. I have to admit...I have never been a huge fan of ballet ever since I saw The Nutcracker when I was ten or eleven. I didn't like it that the dancers never spoke, and the seemingly endless dancing bored me half to death. Still, I've always had a slight obsession with Swan Lake. I love the music and the story, and I grew up watching the animated film The Swan Princess (which I do still watch occasionally...it's one of my favorites!). So, when I found out that the PNB offers special discounted tickets for people 25 and under, I called my friend and asked her if she would be interested in going, and we ended up going that Friday! 

It was absolutely spectacular, and now I'm interested to see more ballets in the future. I think Swan Lake's magic definitely won me over (the very handsome prince had absolutely nothing to do with this).

I had quite a bit of trouble coming up with an outfit for that night...I realized that I own a pretty sparse number of "dressy" skirts and dresses, and I wanted to look classy and dressed up without being over-dressed, since I've noticed that people don't dress up as much for these things any more, which is really too bad. So I settled on this simple dress from Forever 21, added some tights, and my very favorite shoes. I styled my hair in a very Audrey Hepburn-style, and voila! Perfect for a night at the ballet.

I also have more photos from the actual night of the performance which I was considering doing a separate post of. Would any of you like to see them?

What do you think of ballet? Have you ever been to one?


Photo 1 - 2012-12-22

PS~ Thanks for all the great questions you've left for my vlog! I'm hoping to film it sometime next week. And there's definitely room for more questions, so keep them coming. Anything you'd like to know about me (within reason, of course!), ask away!

10 comments:

  1. Omg this dress is so elegant! I love it! And yeah I saw the Nutcracker when I was about that age too and thought it was pretty boring :/ But, yeah I loved the animated Swan Princess movie! Still do...

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You look so elegant. What a perfect outfit for a ballet. I have never been to one in person, but I love to watch recordings. I second what you say about it being a shame that people don't dress up anymore. I hate seeing people in jeans and hoodies at the Symphony. I love a good excuse to dress up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Vicki, you look stunning! That color is excellent for your complexion. :-)

    I have to admit that I've never been to a ballet ... I've watched one scene of Swan Lake on YouTube, and didn't find it terribly interesting; but I'd love to go to a ballet for real sometime, if only to say that I've done it. :-) It's such a classy thing to do. And I hope I would enjoy it!

    I'm so glad you had fun! :-)

    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome outfit! I, on the other hand, would KILL myself in those shoes! LOL! I'm not a heels person, everyone else looks great in them, but they're not for me! =)
    Perhaps I missed it, but I'd like to know more about your family-you know, how many siblings, one parent two, do you have ten toes? (joking on the last one!) But yeah...anyway...
    No! I haven't been to a ballet! I'd like to at some point, though I doubt it will happen where I live! Very small town, a not on the town consists of hanging out at Starbucks or Perkins on a Friday night! LOL!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this outfit!! Especially 1) the color of the dress and the back neckline shape 2) the adorable little jaunty jacket and 3) the earrings! <3
    The only ballet I ever went to was the Nutcracker. But I have very fond memories when I was a young girl of watching it at Christmas time and drinking hot wassail afterwards in the lobby under sparkling chandeliers, surrounded by beautiful ladies all dressed in their theatre best. Mmmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO elegant! and i'm loving your hair, vicki.

    looking forward to the vlog. :)

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the whole outfit! I would love to see pictures from the performance too. I love ballet personally. I think its so much fun to watch! I was never that graceful, hence I enjoy hip hop and swing dancing. :)So I enjoy seeing elegant dancing ever once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is sad people don't dress up as much anymore. I like to dress up just to go see movies, then always feel a little out of place.

    This outfit is really pretty! Love your shoes!

    Also, I'm not a huge ballet fan, but Swan Lake has such pretty music. I think it would be one of the few I'd sit through. Or a really well done Nutcracker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! LOVE this outfit! all of it is amazing! the orange pleated dress, gold sparkle shoes, cute tights, hair up, all amazing!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete