Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Bachelor & the Bobby-Soxer // Inspired by Film Day 2


image from here
image from here
Blouse: made by me // Slacks: Thrifted // Heels: American Eagle via eBay // Headband: Borrowed // Coat: Refashioned // Pin: Fuego

"You remind me of a man."
"What man?"
"The man with the power."
"What power?"
"The power of hoodoo."
"Hoodoo?"
"You do!"
"Do what?"
"Remind me of a man!"


This outfit (which I was planning to post yesterday, but ran out of time) was inspired by Shirley Temple's character in The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. It's one of my very favorite old comedies...and it has a couple of favorite actors as well! Cary Grant was my first classic movie crush (ever since I first saw Bringing Up Baby about ten years ago!), and I grew up watching Shirley Temple movies (it's neat to watch a movie where she's a little older). It has some really fun fashions and great dialogue--like that little snippet above (which was used in another one of my favorite, though very different, movies, Labyrinth...just to throw that out there). I'm not sure that Shirley wore slacks at all in the movie, since it's been awhile since the last time I've seen it, but this outfit with a fun, colorful top, a bandanna headband, and wide-leg slacks seems very 40s and very much like something she would have worn in the movie, where she wore a bunch of fun outfits.

The top, believe it or not, is one of the very first things I ever sewed, and it's made out of a vintage pillowcase! I don't think I had ever worn it before until just recently, because the cropped style doesn't layer well and since it is a crop top, I don't like to wear it with anything that isn't high-waisted enough to completely cover my midriff. I really like it, though, and I can see myself wearing it a lot more often in the future.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22


7 comments:

  1. girl, you can just pull off any style perfectly!

    thank you so much for the encouraging comment you left on my blog. you are the sweetest!

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this look, especially your hair! The way you pulled it back and used the bandana is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing and have wonderful taste in movies, Labyrinth rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer is one of my old favorites. :) I can definitely see Susan wearing something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--you can really pull off the vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!! Your look is really a very good take on it as well. I'm glad found this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Correction: I'm glad (I) found this blog. My apologies for not proofreading more carefully.

    ReplyDelete