Thursday, March 14, 2013

Another Milestone

Dress: Ross // Tights: JCP // Shoes: Target // Necklace: Claire's // Earrings: Gift // Hair pins: DIY {tutorial coming soon} // Nail Polish: Julep's "Leila," with silver glitter polish from Forever21

Hello everyone! I don't know if I've mentioned it on the blog at all, but the last couple of weeks (well, really, months, but in particular the last two weeks) have been pretty crazy for me. First, school is always crazy. I don't know where I got the idea that these eight-week courses wouldn't be too tough--they are a lot more intensive than I had ever expected. Not that that's a bad thing. I enjoy being challenged and I am the kind of gal who always needs something to do, so in a way, I really like it. Then then over the past couple of months, something new was added to my plate--my impending confirmation. I'm not sure how many churches do it, but in the church that I am a member of, in order to become a communicant member, a person has to take an instruction class and learn the key doctrines of the Christian religion (think along the lines of the 10 commandments, Law and Gospel, baptism, etc.). It involves a huge amount of memorization, and in the end, a public examination and confirmation of faith in front of the congregation.

When I was little and my grandpa was the pastor, I honestly thought that this was the most terrifying thing ever, and I couldn't imagine myself ever going through it. And yet...this past week, I actually did it, and (surprise!) I survived, after a crazy amount of studying and making myself almost sick with stress and unnecessary worry. And it was an incredible experience. My class and I (it was an unusually large class of 11 people) were all a lot older than the age when most are confirmed, and after waiting for so long and working so hard, it was rewarding, among other things. I know I am strengthened in my faith because of it, and I'm just overwhelmingly happy to be confirmed and to be able to take the Lord's Supper.

I know I don't really talk much about my personal life on the blog, aside from the occasional tidbits about school, and I think it's something I should start doing more often. Not overloading you with stories about my day-to-day life (though a little bit of that), but talking to ya'll about what's important to me. Like this. :) I love when bloggers do this, and so I want to do it a bit too.

Anyway...if you made it to the end of this post, first, congratulations (it seems really long to me!), and second, I want to ask your opinion about something. This new, more confident me is thinking about doing a vlog. Would any of you be interested in seeing one? What would you like me to talk about? Let me know in the comment section below or in an email (deckedoutinruffles@gmail.com). I'd love to hear your thoughts!


Photo 1 - 2012-12-22


14 comments:

  1. Your hair is so pretty and I love your dress! Do you curl your hair or is it naturally like that?

    A vlog would be marvelous! Talk about whatever....haha, it's just neat to hear what people sound like after you've been reading what they've written for a while....seeing how their voice compares to what you think they sound like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually curl it--my natural hair only has a slight wave and a lot of frizz--but I use a heat-free method. Maybe my vlog should be a tutorial for how I do it!

      Delete


  2. Very light and spring-like. Your star bobby pins are super cute!

    Yay! I'm excited to hear more about what you've been doing here on your blog. And a vlog is an awesome idea! I don't have any suggestions, but I'd love to watch one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, congratulations on your confirmation, Vicki!!! That is so exciting and I'm so happy for you! You looked beautiful for the occasion, too, if I may say so! :-D

    Yes, I would love to hear more about your daily life in your posts! A vlog would be great, too - I'd love to hear you talk about your faith, what kinds of things you're studying in college, how you manage your time and responsibilities, and your goals and dreams for the future. Just some ideas to get you started, though, because I just love listening to people talk about whatever they're passionate about! :-D

    I can't wait to hear more from "the new, more confident you"!!

    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! It is really exciting for me.(:

      And thanks for the ideas! I think I may use a few of those! Look for a vlog in the next couple of weeks!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful dress. I always think its nice to learn more about the bloggers so I like the idea of you writing some personal things here and there....and vlogs are great! I like listening to vlogs. ☺

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful outfit, Vicki! Your nails are awesome!
    I'd love to hear your voice, as I often get strange mental voices that don't match the persons AT ALL! However, 50 seconds of video takes me 20 minutes to load (I'm on dial up still!) And yes, it's the equivalent to living in the dark ages! LOL!
    Congratulations, by the way!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE LOVE LOVE the dress!!!! Absolutely love it. And the nails! Tutorial? I can never get mine to look Pinteresty. :P

    And YES. Love to hear more about your life! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I love this outfit! You are beautiful and the dress is so pretty. I like the tights and sandals combo too! Since its too cold still in my area for sandals that a great idea to wear them anyway with tights.
    I think a vlog would be a great idea! Hmmm... maybe you could vlog a few things that happened during your day? It could be a day in the life type of video. Its an idea anyway.

    Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now following via Bloglovin. Would LOVE to have you join our weekly Bloglovin Hop, too.

    Bloglovin Blog Hop

    Take care,
    Meg
    Happy Kids, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is scary to go up in front of people, but rewarding when it is something like this. Good job for doing it and congratulations! Also, very lovely dress!

    Opening up online is hard, I speak from experience. But others always seem to relate and get encouragement from it.

    Also, I think a vlog would be fun! I'd watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the next step in your faith walk !

    ReplyDelete