Thursday, March 7, 2013

Call the Midwife // Inspired by Film Day 3

Top, Skirt, Heels: Thrifted // Tights: Fred Meyer

Today's outfit is supposed to be inspired by a show or movie that takes place in the 1950s. This was a tough one, since I watch so many period dramas and old movies that do take place in the 50s, but I finally settled on a new favorite, Call the Midwife. Call the Midwife is a British show that recently started airing on PBS about midwives living and working in a very impoverished area, focusing primarily on the story of Nurse Jenny Lee. I wasn't sure that I would like the show at first, but after the first episode, I had completely fallen in love with the show. I love Jenny Lee and her story, and the other characters and stories are so touching and endearing. I can't recommend the show to everyone, especially younger readers, because there are some graphic birth scenes, as well as other disturbing (to me, at least...super squeamish girl here!) medical related scenes, and some (though not many) more mature themes. As a whole, though, it's a fairly clean show, at least judging from the first season, and it has fast become one of my favorites. And by the by, it has a phenomenal soundtrack (lots of great 50s tunes)!

Anyway! This outfit is inspired by Jenny Lee. Her outfits are often simple and fairly practical, but also classy and cute. So I paired my plaid skirt with my bow sweater and Oxford heels, and I had a simple, but cute and comfortable outfit that looked very much like something Jenny would wear. I also wanted to wear my hair similarly to Jenny's which is a sort of curly bob, so I twisted and pinned the sides back, then pinned the back of my hair up and under to create a faux bob. I actually really like the result, and now I'm tempted to get my hair cut again just so I can wear it like this all the time!

Have a lovely day!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22


13 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Call the Midwife! Like you said, the mature themes make it hard to recommend to people, but yes! the music and outfits were sublime! I haven't yet seen the Christmas special but I need to buckle down and see that soon! I'm rooting for Jimmy, personally. ;) Cute outfit, by the way! I came over through the link-up. Have a fab day, gral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jimmy...it's adorable how much he cares for Jenny. Ooh, and the Christmas speciali is a good one!

      Delete
  2. I love your outfit and hair! :) I have been wanting to watch Call the Midwife...where did you watch it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Beth! Well, I watched it first on PBS--they put it online to view for free after it aired on TV, so I watched it on their iPad app. I'm not sure if it's still available to watch, but it looks like they're going to put the first season online again right before they air the second. iTunes also has it available for download (I am very tempted to purchase the season!).

      ~Vicki

      Delete
  3. Ah, I love it! The 50's have always been one of my favorite eras (next to the 40's), so I think it's really lovely. I've always had a thing for plaid skirts too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this outfit!! And your hair looks so lovely like that!
    I really wanted to take part in this event, but just haven't had the time. Hopefully, Ashley will do this again:)
    Oh, and here's another super squeamish girl. Too bad, because this sounds like an interesting show, and I love the 50s, but I don't think I could take the medical scenes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This I really like today's outfit....everything about it including your hair. You really do look like the lady in the picture!

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your skirt looks Scottish. Jack would like it, and Kirk from her book, because he is Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look like the actresses twin, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the skirt, and how you did your hair. (I've heard curls can be annoying because they tangle, but it has never stopped my wish for curly hair. It is just so pretty.)

    I've never heard of the show, but I should look it up sometime. Though I tend to avoid medical related shows, there is not one ounce of doctor in me, unless it is Time Lord.

    This is a very pretty outfit though! I am curious however, what are the books you're holding?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you felt sorry for the hedgehogs in the Alice book. It would have been lots better if they were nicer to them.
    Oh goody! You got to see The Hobbit and saw my favourite person in it! I like the Brown man more then Gandalf. I was glad he saved Sebastian because it would have been sad if he had died. (Jack always closes her eyes half during that part because she doesn't like the spiders.)

    I will tell Jack and we will see if we can find the audio books of Rewall, those sound like fun. I have not heard an audio book before but Jack has. She says she doesn't like a lot of them but one where all the voices are different and they sing the songs would be fun.
    She says she's seen the Flying Dutchman books and is hoping to read them soon but hasn't yet. I want to read them too now because I think I will like ship books if they aren't all about how to sail and are fun books. And if they are written by the Redwall man they will be good because he writes good books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, you look so pretty! I've never seen the show, but based on the photos you posted, your outfit looks a lot like something from it, and I absolutely love how you did your hair! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hair is absolutely beautiful here

    ReplyDelete