Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Beauty Capsule 02 - How Cheeky

Photo Nov 21, 9 29 19 PM

It feels like so long since I've sat down and typed up a post! In-between illnesses that hit me, Adelaide, and Josh, and a generally busy schedule, I've felt swamped with work. Today is a catch-up day--the house desperately needs cleaning, phone calls and paperwork need doing, and I need to wash all of Miss Adelaide's six-month outfits as she's just starting to get too big for her three-month clothes. Also, how is Thanksgiving this week? I can't believe how quickly time flew this month!

Anyway. Time for the second installment in my beauty capsule series! This week we're covering cheeks, which means blush and bronzer!

Photo Nov 21, 9 33 28 PM

I remember when I first started getting into makeup, I bought a bright, sparkly pink blush from Claire's and thought it was the bee's knees. In reality, it made me look quite a lot like a clown, and once I realized that, I stayed away from blushes for a long time. I only started using them again in the past couple of years, when I picked up an inexpensive elf blush (this one, in "Twinkle Pink") to give my cheeks some color. This time I took into account my fair skin tone, and went for something peachy that would compliment it, but still look fairly natural. And it worked! As far as budget blushes (and, since we're on the subject, brushes!) go, I definitely recommend elf's products. They're pigmented and have a nice texture--they go on not too cakey, not too powdery, nice and light. I have kept the first blush I picked up from them in my beauty capsule, and I find it really nice for summer looks. When I was getting married, I decided I wanted something softer and more mauve. I tried the Benefit Rocketeur blush at Ulta and thought it was perfect, but I was at the point in wedding planning where I was pinching pennies wherever possible. So in the end, I picked up this elf blush in "Mellow Mauve" on a whim, and it was a close dupe.

Photo Nov 21, 9 31 13 PM
Photo Nov 21, 9 32 35 PM

I did splurge on one cheek product for my wedding, and went ahead and bought the Kat Von D Shade + Light Contour palette after testing it at Sephora. It is so versatile and pigmented and blends really nicely on my fair skin. Also, I've found that some of the lighter browns work great as a neutral blush. I've been swiping on Shadowplay almost every time I go to do my makeup. It creates a really nice fall/winter look. And although I've used it nearly every day since my wedding, I've barely made a dent in the product. That's how pigmented it is! :)

Well, there you have it! Short and sweet for this segment of the capsule. What cheek products are your favorites?







No comments:

Post a Comment