Monday, November 14, 2016

5 Ways to Start Living More Intentionally at Home

5stepsto

I have discovered over the past couple of years that I am a person who gets stressed easily, and I don't function well when I'm stressed--I become flustered, fidgety, and frustrated. This has become especially evident as I entered motherhood and the lack of sleep compounded my stress level. Because of this, I have been taking steps to cut the stress from my life by striving to live more intentionally. And you guys, it really helps. These are a few steps I strive to help eliminate stress and live with intent.

Photo Nov 14, 2 20 01 PM
01. Cut the Clutter

This is a tip I've read over and over from numerous sources, but it's true. If you cut down on clutter, you will inevitably cut down on stress. My husband and I decided early on in our relationship that we didn't want an excess of stuff. It makes more work for cleaning (which is huge for me), and too much visual clutter crowds a space and makes it difficult for the mind to calm. When we moved into our little condo, I went on a purging rampage, with my husband's support, and now I can breathe much easier.

So, tackle a room at a time, or even just a part of a room, and get rid of anything you don't need or want. I wind up taking almost everything to Goodwill, but you can also check with friends and relatives to see if they want anything before you donate. You can also try selling some items to get a little extra cash.

Personally, my biggest project has been my closet, because I do get emotionally attached to clothes, and getting rid of dresses that I like but never wear or no longer fit (ah, postpartum body woes) has been a drawn-out process. I'm also guilty of holding on to clothing because I like the idea of it, but it's super unflattering!

guardyourtime
02. Develop a Routine

This has been so helpful for me as a wife and mother. It took me a really long time to develop a routine after I had Adelaide, but once I finally decided that I needed one, it took such a load off my mind.  If you set habits in place and stick to them, your life will fall into an easy rhythm and your day will feel more intentional and productive. And it doesn't have to be a complex routine--it can be flexible, like picking days to accomplish certain chores, jobs, and goals. For example, I like to have specific days for things like laundry and deep cleaning, but every day I will make the bed, do the dishes, tidy the house, do blog work and pay any bills or make any important phone calls (the order is mostly dictated by Miss Adelaide, who still doesn't have a real schedule). And I've got it down so that (usually) everything is accomplished before my husband gets home from work, and I can relax with him.

liveoutofintent
03. Unplug

I didn't realize how much social media consumed my life until I swore off Facebook for Lent. And all of a sudden, I had so much time on my hands. Taking the time to unplug allows me to be more mentally present, and therefore more intentional. It's especially important to me when I'm spending time with my husband or chatting with a friend. I feel like we all know that person who's continuously on his or her phone when you're trying to have a conversation, and it sends such a negative message.

Photo Nov 14, 2 08 10 PM
04. Take 15 Minutes for You

Every day, set aside a block of at least fifteen minutes for yourself to relax and recharge your mind. For me, every morning, usually during Adelaide's first nap, I take the time to make myself that much-needed cup of coffee, and sit down with my Bible for a short devotion. For you, it could be reading a chapter in a book, writing in a journal, meditating, or whatever you find helps recharge your batteries.

Photo Nov 14, 2 15 18 PM
05. Set a Budget

Setting a budget is something I've started only recently, but I'm sorry I didn't start it sooner. It's a great way to be confident and intentional with how you spend your money. Josh and I recently sat down and hashed out all of our bills and evaluated how much we wanted to spend on necessities, like groceries, and how much we wanted to be able to put into savings or into fun things. I don't know about him, but I feel so much better knowing exactly where all of our money is going. And setting a budget is honestly good for everyone, regardless of whether you work part-time and are still living with your parents, or are married with children. In the long run, it helps you save money.

This may be a little off-topic, but one of the best ways I stay on budget is through meal-planning. At the beginning of each month, I sit down and create a meal plan for the entire month. This may seem a little excessive, and you could definitely do just a week or two at a time, but it helps save money and eliminate waste, because I know exactly what we need for every meal. And I keep it flexible, too--meals can easily be switched around when needed.

I hope you found this post helpful! What are some ways you cut down on stress to live with intent?

4 comments:

  1. Love these tips! I tend to get stressed easily too, and it was much worse right after Ivy was born. Definitely need to implement some of these. I got rid of a ton of clutter while we were getting our house ready to move, and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) And yes! Purging clutter is so freeing! I have another big stack of boxes ready to haul off to Goodwill this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been purging this past year, and when I finished this semester I plan to do so again. I've majorly purged clothes and shoes, that wasn't my big issue . . . I collect tons of art and craft supplies, "for the future" stuff, books etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here with the craft supplies! I still have a few big boxes of stuff I'm saving for future art/sewing projects. Good luck with the next round of purging!

    ReplyDelete