Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Trip to the Art Museum


Blouse: Thrifted // Skirt: Thrifted + Refashioned // Tights: Claire's // Sweater: Fred Meyer (I think! It's an old one) // Necklace: H&M // Boots: Snagged from my Aunt's closet

One of my closest friends is an art history major, and she's currently taking a museums class that requires her to visit museums and write about the makeup of exhibits and whatnot, along with a couple of other art history classes. I'm quite the art geek myself (I was so close to choosing an art major!), and the Seattle Art Museum has an amazing exhibit right now featuring Rembrandt, which we both really wanted to see, so we headed up there last Thursday on the museum's free day to wander the museum. Well...after getting lost several times on those tricky downtown roads and then walking four blocks to the museum in the wind and the rain (yay for typical Seattle weather!), we made it. We spent over three hours in the special Rembrandt exhibit alone, overanalyzing details and gazing in awe at the elaborate brushstrokes, pushing our noses as close to the canvas as museum etiquette allowed. Wow. There were fangirl moments and times when our voices got just a little too excited, causing other visitors to giggle (not that we cared). One of my favorite paintings was by Edwin Landseer,and it was of a hawk attacking its prey, a heron, large as life, with a hawking party watching on in the background. I probably stared at that one for at least a good five minutes before moving on.

Anyway...it was good fun. I had only been to the SAM once a few years before, and that was with a group of my cousins, so it was great to go again and revisit old favorites and discover new ones. We're already planning to go back next month for a second time, and I can't wait!

For going to the museum, I wanted to wear something simple and artsy, but a little more dressed up, so I settled on this citron skirt that I thrifted the week before and a black and white patterned blouse that I picked up the same day, paired with my polka-dotted tights, and boots, of course, for walking through the rain. I ended up refashioning the skirt the night before, at the last minute. I didn't realize how short it was when I got it--I thought it was knee-length, but when I tried it on at home, it fit more like a mini skirt. So, I took out the hem, which added about two inches, and then added a strip of black fabric (from a thrifted pillowcase!) to the bottom. I really like the final result, since the black adds a nice contrast along with the length!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22



15 comments:

  1. Cute! I love the color and pattern combination!

    That sounds like a wonderful day at the art museum. I love museums myself, but there aren't very many in my area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your pattern mixing, Vicki!
    Oh! I hate when I think a skirt or dress is longer than it actually is! Actually, one time I didn't realize a dress was wayyyy too short until after I posted it on my blog and got to looking at the length and thought "hmm...that dress is awfully short, perhaps a bit too short..." :(
    Anyway, cute outfit! I've been to only a handful of museums! The one you described sounds awesome!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh I love art museums! And your hair is amazing :)

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That skirt is too pretty! I especially love the color :)
    -Tori
    www.fashiontrendsmore.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with that outfit, Vicki!
    Liked your museum trip story. I'm kinda the opposite at the art museum, despite my being a design major; I have a very hard time staring at one work for a long time and analyzing it. It's terrible, but I only do it for an assignment or when I know I need inspiration for a project. Otherwise I just like to stroll through, and look at it like I would scenery on a walk outside, take in an overall impression from the exhibit.
    ~Emily
    www.fashionedanddesigned.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Vicki! that skirt is so cute! Love the bright neon color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki,
    forgot to answer your question!
    GFC is only shutting down for those blogs hosted through Wordpress!
    Otherwise, everything is staying the same.
    Thanks for being a faithful reader!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, your skirt is so darling! i am in love with yellow right now.

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looove how you mixed all these prints together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this outfit! In fact, I want it in my closet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are absolutely too gorgeous!! what kind of lipstick do you use? (random, i know. ;)

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    p.s. i'll graduate next year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Vicki:)
    You look absolutely gorgeous.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog...and by thw way, you didn't follow me.
    Please follow back at http://www.rockingtherunway.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the color of the skirt, it spices up the entire look!
    Would you like to follow each other on Bloglovin and Facebook?
    (¯`·._.·Nymphashion·._.·´¯)
    (¯`·._.·Nymphashion FB·._.·´¯)
    (¯`·._.·Nymphashion Bloglovin·._.·´¯)

    ReplyDelete