Saturday, April 27, 2013

Mom for a Week


Dress: Made by me // Blouse: Thrifted // Tights/Ring: Fred Meyer // Oxford Heels: Thrifted

I absolutely love the retro details of this outfit. If you follow me on instagram, or if you saw this post, you might have seen me hinting about this sewing project. The "dress" is actually two pieces--a skirt and a top. I made the skirt first, and was not thinking of making a top at all, but then I was inspired by some of the Modcloth dresses, and I thought I would attempt a top as well! This is the first actual top that I have sewn (I believe...at least that's turned out!), and I made it with some help from a couple of tutorials. It also has a peplum at the waist and an exposed zipper all the way down the back, so it looks very cute worn by itself as well. The adorable retro plane fabric is actually from an old scrub top of my dad's which he was getting rid of. I loved the print, and thought it would be perfect for a skirt, so I made that up, then I had leftover fabric that I was able to use on the top! Then the red fabric and zippers were thrifted for just a few dollars.

Anyway...you may be wondering about the slightly odd title of this post, as well as my absence on the blog! Well...I was away for several days babysitting my four cousins while my aunt and uncle were on vacation. I was hoping to have time to post while I was there, but things were pretty hectic and my priorities were the kids and my schoolwork. It was definitely a fun experience, though--I love the kids and I love getting to watch them. It was very new to me, since I had never done anything like it before, and their schedule is very different from mine (goodness...my schedule is pretty different from most people's!), but everything went smoothly, and I was able to stay caught up on school, thanks to help from my family. I'm going to miss those kiddos, but still...there is no better feeling than coming home.(:

I hope you all are having a lovely week!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22



4 comments:

  1. Mom for week....glad you had a good time though you probably were tired too. :D

    Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I love the pattern of that dress! Make me one? :p

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am impressed you are an excellent seamstress!
    Kids are fun! However I am sure you are tired! Why can't we have that kind of energy! Sort of unfair-lol!
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! Wish I could sew like you :)
    I tagged you! http://prettymodestbffs.blogspot.com/2013/04/fashion-tag.html
    Lizzy<3

    ReplyDelete