Friday, February 10, 2017

A Cozy Valentine's Day at Home

Photo Feb 10, 2 59 54 PM

Can you believe how quickly January flew by? I feel like all I did was blink, and we were already a week into February. That means Valentine's Day is coming up--next week!--and I'm pretty excited about it.

I've never really been a huge Valentine's Day person, except when I was little, handing out Valentines to all the other children in the church and counting all those I received in return. When I was a teenager, I was very anti-Valentine's Day for a while, and when Josh and I started dating, we just treated it like any other day. But this year, I'm looking forward to an excuse for a date night (these feel few and far between now that we have Miss Adelaide!), and though money's tight, I plan on creating a cozy night in, and pampering both Josh and myself. Something I've learned over the past year is that you really don't have to spend much to have a nice date, you just have to be a little more intentional about it.

Photo Feb 10, 2 58 05 PM
Photo Feb 10, 2 54 28 PM
Photo Feb 10, 3 01 11 PM

If you're in a similar boat, here are a few things you can try to create the perfect date night at home:

01. Dinner for Two - Try cooking a favorite meal, maybe something special that you don't make often. Even if it's nothing fancy, set the table formally for two--here, I grabbed a cluster of candles, and a vase with a sprig of eucalyptus for a simple, intimate centerpiece. The copper Moscow Mule mugs add that perfect pop of color with all the neutrals. Turn on some music, turn off the phones, and sit down to enjoy a nice dinner together.

02. Play a Game Together - We actually used to do this during dinner every night, but that's kind of tapered off recently due to more harried mealtimes. But try breaking out a favorite board game (some of our staples are Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Rummikub) or just playing a few games of cards (we are gin rummy fiends!).

03. Rent a Movie - Going to the movies is pretty expensive these days, but Redbox is great for checking out that newly released DVD you've both been wanting to watch! You can also opt for an old favorite, or a movie that's special to you. Some of our go-to favorites are About Time, When Harry Met Sally, and You've Got Mail.  Light more candles, and snuggle up together on the couch, and hit play!

04. Bake a Special Dessert - A decadent dessert is the perfect way to round out the night. It's fairly inexpensive to pick up small desserts from the bakery at your local grocery store (we love the Safeway bakery a little too much around here), or you can make your own! I'm thinking I may make a chocolate cake, but that has yet to be seen.

Photo Feb 10, 3 02 12 PM
Photo Feb 10, 3 04 14 PM

05. Make a Special Gift - If you're into giving gifts on Valentine's Day (I know I am!), cut down on costs and make something with materials you have at home. It may just be a card to put into writing how much you love that special someone (I love long, sappy cards), or something that requires a bit more thought. For a really quick Valentine's Day craft, you can make a mini album full of little things you love about your significant other, and favorite pictures of the two of you. I made this one by cutting several pieces of watercolor paper into identically-sized squares, punching two holes in each, and threading a bit of leather cord through them to hold the book together. It's really cute, personal, and sentimental.

I hope this post gave you some ideas if you're planning on spending Valentine's Day at home, or even for creating a nice date night at home! But regardless of what you're planning of doing for Valentine's Day, I hope you have a wonderful time!


Also, just a quick note--for some reason my email subscription was set up incorrectly, and I finally fixed it! Now you should be able to successfully subscribe to get all of my new posts direct to your inbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment