Thursday, September 19, 2013

Guest Post by Amanda of Two Tickets

Hey everyone! Today I have a special guest post to share with you all. I'd like you all to meet Amanda--she has an amazing etsy store called Two Tickets (definitely go check it out! I'm sure you'll be blown away!), and I invited her over to the blog today to talk to you about her Kickstarter project which involves some pretty amazing purses. ~Vicki



Hey Everyone!
Wow!! This is so cool!
I am happy to have gotten the opportunity to be a guest blogger for Decked Out in Ruffles! 
I was so excited because it's a first for me to be a guest blogger and I love firsts!

But let me introduce myself. My name is Amanda and I am the Designer and Owner of Two Tickets.


My Story:
My story starts, with a toaster, a rocking chair, and a backpack.
That's the cliffs notes version of my story. The long one is that I have loved making things ever since I was little when my mom taught me how to sew.  Besides that, I was always drawing, sewing, painting or doing something crafty.  So there was no looking back when I decided to attend Savannah College of Art and Design. In 2004 I graduated with a B.F.A in Textiles. Following graduation I moved to NYC where I lived and worked with a small family run clothing design house.  This background is why I decided to launch my own line of luxury accessories for women.

My Vision:
Two Tickets was started in part because I believe in the power of fashion. Both personally and on a social level.  The idea of individual style and finding one's voice through fashion is one I've always loved.  I see dressing as self expression and the ultimate form of personal creative freedom.  I think that when you feel good then others feel good and the energy of joy and happiness spreads. I don't think of fashion as frivolous or shallow.  In fact, it's just the opposite. 

My Inspiration:
It's no secret that I love vintage.  My main insparation always comes from that place.  I have combined that with my love of permanence.  The idea that things that hold up and can be treasured over their life time then handed down and re-used really appeals to me.  Which is why I like to work with leather a lot. It lasts.  These days "quick fashion" is only made to look good for a couple of months or a year.  Manufacturers are counting on the trend passing before the item itself wears out.  I think us girls who really love style are looking to find something that they can use and keep as a staple in their wardrobe.  I love the idea of re-discovering items in your own closet and finding new ways to wear them and enjoy them. That is why I have worked hard over the past 4 years to develop a line of bags that are multi-functional, versatile and classic. 





My Future:
In order to create a future for my brand I have embarked on a new kind of project. I am sure lots of you have heard about Kickstarter, the incredibly cool fund-raising website that has helped many artists, designers, and dreamers realize their creative projects.  So I am excited to share with you my project!
(embed video here)
I have created limited edition rewards for the $12 to $40 backers and there is a super special reward for the $130 +and up backers!
The big deal about my Project is that I need to sell more than I've ever sold before!
In order to help me achieve this I am actually pre-selling my Spring 2014 collection for below my wholesale cost.  The great thing is that I am bypassing the middleman and going straight to the customer.
This is the great thing about Kickstarter. You will be able to buy directly from me, the designer. This is a great money-saver because you don't have to pay the retail mark-up price!

My Dream:
I hope to see Two Tickets brand grow and evolve. I also hope that 30 or 40 years from now I see a woman wearing a bag I designed down the street and she bought it at a thrift store, flea market, or estate sale. That's really what it's all about, for me.

I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes from Coco Chanel:

"Fashion fades, only style remains the same."

You can find me me on Etsy! www.twotickets.etsy.com
OR
And keep up with me on Facebook! www.facebook.com/2tickets

Cheers!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment