Saturday, July 27, 2013

day-trip to tacoma



As I mentioned in my last post, my family took a day trip last week to Tacoma to visit the art museum, history museum, and glass museum. Every third Thursday, admission to all three museums is free, and even better, all three are within walking distance of each other.





We started our visit at the Washington State History Museum, which is a really neat museum for those who like history, and even for those who don't...there's something for everyone. When we went last month, they had a neat antique motorcycle exhibit that featured one of Steve McQueen's motorcycles (and another that was the same style he rode in The Great Escape). That was cool. This time, it was closed, but it was still fun to wander the museum.





Right outside the history museum is a little courtyard with possibly the world's most adorable coffee shop (I am definitely going to have to stop in there next time!), and on the other side is the historic Union Station, which has been turned into a court house. Apparently, the building was designed by my godmother's grandfather. It's a gorgeous building, and it's lovely inside too, featuring several glass art pieces by Chihuly. It was closed by the time we made it over there, so we couldn't go in, but hopefully another time!








After we finished at the history museum, we wandered across the glass bridge (which has many interesting glass pieces all along its length) to the glass museum. It's a very interesting building, and a nice juxtaposition of modern and old-fashioned architecture. The museum itself is not very big, but what's cool about it is that it features a "hot shop"--which is right inside that cone--where you can go in and watch the artists at work. It is very warm in there, but worth it!



We finished up at the art museum, where I didn't take any pictures (I know, I'm sorry!) because there was no air conditioning and we ended up really rushing through the museum because it was very warm. I probably would have rather stayed in the glass museum's hot shop than in the crowded, hot art museum!

The day was ended at the Spaghetti Factory, with a heaping plate of noodles topped with browned butter and mizithra cheese. So good. All in all, a wonderfully blessed day.

I hope you all enjoyed this peek into our trip to the museums!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22

19 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Your pictures were awesome and it looks like you had a great time, Vicki! :-D I would have loved to have seen it!

    Have a great rest of the weekend, my friend!

    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki!(: Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. Sounds neat! I've never been to any of those before, but the WA State History Museum sounds interesting.

    It's just an idea, but I think it would be fun to read more posts like this! Just what you've been up to, places you went to, etc. It's always fun reading those and it's even more fun since we live not that far for each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty fun museum. It is most fun the first time around, but I think that you probably find something new each time you visit.
      And thanks for your feedback! I'm definitely hoping to do more posts like this in the future, and I should, time permitting, have another post like this up tomorrow.(:

      Delete
  3. wow looks like a great trip :)
    http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you definitely had a good time :) And took quite a few lovely photos on your trip too
    -Tori
    Fashion, Trends & More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! I think I could wander these museums all day. My sister gets bored of them quickly, though, so we tend to breeze through them a lot faster than I would normally like to. :P Thank you!

      Delete
  5. This looks like such a fun trip! I'm always a sucker for a good museum or two. I love your beautiful blog and photography!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! I love wandering museums.(
      Thanks so much!(:

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are lovely! This seems like such a great trip. That's so cool that you saw one of Steve McQueen's motorcycles! Jealous! :)

    www.room-334.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so excited when I saw it! I kind of freaked out, and my mom did too, haha!

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I didn't know there was such a thing as a glass museum. I shall have to visit one someday, I love glass making. If I ever had to pick a "real" job it would probably be in glass making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes. The galleries are really small (and to tell the truth...kind of boring for me, since they're mostly minimalistic modern pieces) at the one near me, but getting to see the artists actually at work makes it all worthwhile.

      Delete
  9. Love the photos! I want to visit here based on what I see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely worth a visit if you're ever in the area.(:

      Delete
  10. Haha, absolutely! I tend to only visit on free days. :P The only downside is that they tend to be more crowded...but still, it's free!(: Much better than paying a ton of money for only an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your shots are stunning! Makes me really want to take a trip myself!

    ReplyDelete