Wednesday, July 24, 2013

musings and museums






//top: h&m / skirt, belt: thrifted / sandals: cotton on//

I'm finding that summer is busier than usual for me. Do any of you feel that way? I mean, I have school, but I did that last summer as well, and I feel like there simply wasn't as much that I was doing really outside of that. It can be stressful at times, trying to juggle so many things at once--like going out with friends in the morning, then coming back home to type up an essay--and sometimes it's hard to slow down. But really, one of the best things I've learned through these past couple weeks, where it seems that every weekend I'm loaded down with some new stressful situation, is that sometimes, you just need to stop, take a deep breath, make a cup of tea (or coffee, if you prefer!), and slow down to look for the joy in the ordinary things of creation, rather than letting yourself be absorbed by the stress. Like these roses--I hadn't noticed them before, except the other day, when I was in a hurry for some reason or other, and their bright cheery color just jumped out at me and I had to pause to admire them.

Anyway, enough sap--I feel like a lot of my posts are starting to sound like this! But I think that they're a bit of encouragement to me writing them, and maybe (hopefully) to some of you, too.

This outfit is actually from last Thursday--I worked ahead on my assignments so that I could go to the museums in Tacoma with my family. I wanted something comfortable and casual, so I paired this newly thrifted gem of a skirt (my sisters call it a medieval skirt) with an old top from H&M, added a belt and a pair of comfy shoes, and voila--the perfect museum-going outfit. It was a lot of fun--crowded, because it was such a beautiful day, but definitely a lot of fun. There was something going on at the art museum where they had musicians playing classical music in the area right where you walk in. And it was actually really nice. I love the combination of music and art. I wish I could have just sat there and listened. But, as a downside, we had to get home, and the air conditioning was also apparently broken that day...and it was sweltering inside the museum. More about the museums later--I brought my camera this time and took a whole bunch of pictures that I'm saving for a post that will be coming (hopefully!) sometime this week.

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22

21 comments:

  1. so true.
    Sometimes you need to take a break.It is so easy to be caught up in the huistle of life and forget to actually live life..to enjoy it!
    so yes, it is good to take time to notice beauty in the ordinary things.
    You look very gorgeous.
    The ensemble is perfect.things could never get better.I love your skirt...and by the way, I own an exact same belt as that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz!(: Haha, this is my favorite belt. They're so versatile, aren't they?(:

      Delete
  2. I can get wrapped up in busyness also, but I love to step back, and enjoy the simple things in life. The sights, smells, and tastes (of coffee or my favorite food). Adorable outfit, by the way. :) Oh, and I can't wait to see your pics of the museum! I've only ever been to a children's museum and a aviation museum (which was fun), but I'd really love to go to a history museum someday. Have a wonderful day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It feels really nice to enjoy the simple things as well.(: Aviation museums are the best. I just went to the one near my home for the first time yesterday, and it was so cool.

      Delete
  3. Cute and comfy. Loving it.

    Yes. this summer has been busy for me, too. But, the best kind of busy. Time spent with friends and family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely the best kind of busy!(:

      Delete
  4. Summer's been unusually busy for me too! Great outfit, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely outfit!! i love your skirt and your blog!! it's awesome <3
    follow?
    http://stormia-fashion.blogspot.com/
    kisses, Mai ! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer is so busy. I think "frenetic" is possibly the right word to describe my summer! I'm a teacher, too...so my summers should be leisurely and relaxing but I haven't figured that one out yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think frenetic is probably the perfect descriptor for my summer too! Haha, I'm almost starting to regret signing up for summer classes...my reasoning was to take easy 100 level classes and check them off my list of required classes, but somehow the classes ended up being much more challenging than I had anticipated. :P

      Delete
  7. I think that's a gorgeous and very 'woodsy' feeling outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that outfit! so cute! that skirt looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Green looks great on you! I've been wanting to expand my collection of maxi skirts for fall, and this outfit is definitely inspiring me!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Hannah! I don't wear much green, but I love the feel of this skirt. It has sort of a medieval/fairytale vibe, which I love.

      Delete
  10. Thanks Instagram for brining me here! Your writing style is lovely as is your taste in tops and 'medieval' skirts x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ps bringing with a g. I'm a stickler for spelling but type too quickly

    ReplyDelete