Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Floral & Sewing a Scalloped Hem

//Dress: Thrifted, Refashioned // Shoes: Thrifted // Necklaces: Gifts//

I was thrilled to find this fun floral dress at Goodwill the other week. It had a sweetheart neckline (and one that was actually high enough to be modest!) and pockets as well as an exposed zipper in the back (love!), and it just happened to be half-off, so it was perfect. Holding it up, it seemed to hit about knee-length, but I realized once I got it home and tried it on, it was actually pretty short (I have really got to learn to look in a mirror or actually try the dress on before buying it...), so  I decided to add some length by adding a strip of fabric to the bottom. SO, a week later, I went back to Goodwill and bought a pink pillowcase that I hoped would match the pink in the roses on the dress. It didn't really, but I think the colors actually ended up going quite well together. I thought I would add a touch of whimsy to the hem by giving it a scalloped edge, which I had been wanting to try for quite awhile. It ended up being really easy (there may be a tutorial on this coming soon!), and I loved the finished look. I did make it a bit longer than I had initially wanting it (I wanted it to hit just at the knee/slightly above), but I do really like it the way it ended up. Still...after that, I learned to be a bit more careful about my measurements!

I hope you all are having a lovely week!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22

8 comments:

  1. JUST LOVELY!!! Wow, cool hem! I look forward to seeing how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute dress, and I loooove the scalloped hem! Looks like it was made that way, honestly!! Scallops are one of my favorite all-time details on clothes, for sure.

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodwill? Awesome! Love the dress and the fabric you added around the bottom! And I just wore my hair like that a few days ago! It looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love the hem! The colors go so well together. Beautiful job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. dang. A gorgeous, adorable AND modest sundress -- how refreshing =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute and I love the addition :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so pretty!! I love the little ruffle around the waist line, it makes it look so feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea that this dress had been altered by you, it works really well, congratulations!
    http://www.bandasaur.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete