Saturday, August 11, 2012

From Time to Time {A Movie Review}

Hi everyone! So today I decided to do something a little different--my first movie review! I watch movies almost as a hobby, and I thought that I might start up a regular series of reviewing movies I've seen (and liked/loved) recently. Let me know what you think! Are there any movies you'd like to see me review in the future? Let me know in a comment, or by emailing me at deckedoutinruffles@gmail.com.


image source here 
 
"From Time to Time"

Synopsis:
This movie begins towards the end of World War Two. Tolly's father has gone missing, and his mother sends him to live with his grandmother, Mrs. Oldknow, at her manor in the country. Tolly quickly discovers that the manor not only has an intriguing history, but it also houses a secret--it's haunted by the ghosts of his relatives. Tolly soon finds himself entangled in the lives of the ghosts, and in solving the mystery of Lady Maria's stolen jewels.

Thoughts:
I wasn't sure about this movie at first when I read the Netflix synopsis. In fact, the only reason I had clicked on it was because the cover was done in a way that reminded me of Downton Abbey, and I immediately recognized Maggie Smith as well. I laughed when I saw that it was written and directed by Julian Fellowes, director of Downton Abbey and the recent Titanic miniseries, and that made me decide to give it a go. Anddddd...I loved it.


image source here

Anyway! The acting was amazing, and the costumes were gorgeous. There was a great mix of 40s fashions and Regency fashions (as the ghosts were from the Regency period). Mrs. Oldknow wore some really gorgeous pieces, and Maria Oldknow had some beautiful Regency gowns (some of the most beautiful I've ever seen, in fact). Maria's hair was also lovely, which I had to comment on several times. And the settings (mainly the manor house and its grounds) were amazing...bright, beautiful, and intricate.
 
image source here
 
The story itself was also an intriguing one, switching back and forth between Tolly's life and the life of the past Oldknows. I found myself more caught up in the ghosts' story than Tolly's, though sometimes they became so interwoven that it was hard to tell the two apart. At sometimes the plot was slightly preadictable, but overall, it kept my eyes fastened on the screen, and I did not want to stop it for anything! It also has a little bit of a Downton Abbey vibe, which I enjoyed immensely.

image source here

Well, I'm sure you all are tired of my rambling! Overall, it was an excellent movie, and one I'm sure I'll watch over and over again. It's rated PG, and may seem to be aimed at children from the storyline, but it can be frightening at times (there were three parts that scared the living daylights out of me!), and it is also sad in parts, so I would not say that it's a good one for younger children to watch. Still, it's a very heartwarming film, and I highly recommend it (especially if you're a Downton Abbey fan looking for something to watch while waiting for series 3!). If you're a Netflix subscriber, From Time to Time is available to stream instantly. 
 
I'd rate it 4.5/5 stars.












4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I just watched this yesterday with my mom. We enjoyed it. Yeah, I was a little surprised when Netflix said it was for 8 to 10 year olds; I thought, "Isn't this a little intense for 8 to 10 year olds?" after watching it, but it was a great movie. Julian Fellowes, who created Downton Abbey, directed and wrote the screenplay, so that could be why it had a Downton-like feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds great!(: bey the way. I tagged you in an award on my blog..check it out?

    Lizzy <3
    www.prettymodestbffs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been tagged by me too!!!!!
      http://chiccupcake1.blogspot.com/2012/08/tag-leibster-award.html

      Delete
  3. Oh! Thanks so much for doing a movie review! I try to be pretty strict about what I watch, but in this day and age it can be soooo hard to tell if a movie will be clean or not. You should definitely do more!

    I saw Emma was on Netflix, but have not seen it yet. I know I would appreciate a review on that one.:)

    ReplyDelete