Tuesday, October 8, 2013

vintage with a modern twist


//blouse, belt, petticoat, heels: thrifted / skirt: made by me / tights: JCP//

Sometimes I show up at church looking like I could have stepped out of the 1950s. And I'm oddly ok with that. I wear what I like, and so long as I think it looks good (and it remains modest and appropriate for the particular situation), I don't really care too much what anyone else thinks of it. I used to be so self-conscious about what I wore, and I really cared about what other people thought. Now, I've discovered more about my own personal style, that it's eclectic and old-fashioned and sometimes a bit odd, and that manifests itself in the way I dress. For some reason, I feel so much more confident in my own skin when I dress that way. 

Anyway, this is another one of those outfits where I kind of threw together a few pieces that I normally wouldn't have paired with each other, like this patterned blouse and my blue circle skirt. I'm usually very against mixing black and navy blue, but I realized that this skirt isn't quite navy blue, and I wondered if the two would go well together. And I think they really do! I also added my favorite burgundy tights and my black Oxford heels and belt to tie in with the black pattern, and make the outfit feel a little more put together. The burgundy tights also added a more modern touch to the outfit, in my opinion. And, finally, to make my skirt even more fun...I slipped on my vintage petticoat. I kind of loved the look so much I kept it on all day instead of changing after church, mostly because I love the swishy feel of my poofy skirt as I moved. 

I hope you all are having a lovely start to your week!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22

8 comments:

  1. I love puffy skirts! They are so much fun to wear.
    I like how you did this one. It is so cute and old fashioned.
    I know what you mean though, about being uncomfortable and self cautious. It is hard to get over that.

    To answer your comment.
    Cloudy two was good! I liked it! It was a lot of fun, adn I can't wait for Frozen. I think my family and I are going the day it comes out.
    I was wondering how good Sleepy Hallow was going to be, I would watch it but I have so many shows I'm watching, so maybe at a later time. (I started Supernatural not too long back. I'm on season five now. *Grin*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative outfit! :D
    I also want to let you know that I nominated you for the sunshine blogger award on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki I too have found when I dress in a way that is my personal style I feel more confident in my own skin too. God has been teaching lately that my ultimate confidence springs from my love for him. So like you said I believe our clothes Dan help with that for sure. I love your look as always! Definitely check out the vintage 1940s/1950s look I wore to church a few Sundays ago on my blog too. <3 Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt and those shoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This outfit is gorgeous! I am so in love with those types of skirts, and the only reason I cannot wait to be done with pregnancy is to get back to my wooly circle skirt collection! Idefinitely used to feel self-conscious about the way I dressed back when I quit wearing jeans all the time, but now it's just second nature and I feel more uncomfortable in jeans! It's funny how that works.
    Thank you for linking up with the Washington Blogger page, I'm so excited to have another blog to read from my home state! And yours is just lovely.
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this outfit--and I'm totally comfortable in a more 'retro' style, too! I want to get a real petticoat. At the moment I've been using a cheap tulle skirt I got from the supermarket as a petticoat to add extra fluff to my skirts, but it doesn't do the best job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look GORGEOUS in all capital letters..am in love with your stockings:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness I love the high waisted skirt and the colors you used!

    God bless!
    ♥ aspirer
    www.heavenly-aspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete