Monday, August 19, 2013

the official start of summer







//dress (worn as skirt): jc penneys {gift} / top: jc penneys / necklace: julep / flats: marshalls //

The official start of summer for me is not when the weather gets warmer (though, boy, has it been warm and muggy here lately!), but when my classes all wrap up and life is no longer consumed by schoolwork. So for me, summer officially began last week...and will last until mid-October, when I begin classes in the second half of fall semester. And funnily enough...it's been even more busy this past week than it was when I was in school. My grandma took a bad fall last week, so my parents ended up spending quite a bit of time at the hospital, and I'm taking over her job babysitting five of my cousins while she recovers (thankfully, God seems to be blessing her with a smooth recovery). I'm also getting ready for some adventures with friends, my aunt, and my family, which I'm definitely looking forward to. And choir's started back up! Yay! We've started practicing Christmas music (Christmas in August!), which I'm immensely excited about. And I'm rearranging/deep cleaning my room...which is taking longer than I initially envisioned. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow, though, and then I want to film a room tour.

This outfit was hastily thrown together in the mad rush before heading off to church. I usually pull out my outfit the night before, and I did this time, only to decide I didn't like it five minutes before we left for church. And I came up with this! I like that it's classy and a little dressier (which is good, since I always like to dress up a bit more for communion Sunday), but still fairly comfortable.

I hope you all are doing well! Have a wonderful week!

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22
PS- Sorry if the photos look a bit grainy this time round. I'm not entirely sure why they're like that...maybe I had the ISO on my camera set higher than usual or something...

16 comments:

  1. You look lovely as always, Vicki! I'm so glad you have the chance to enjoy a little "rest" before school starts again, although you sound really busy ... I hope your grandma heals very quickly and completely and is feeling much better very soon, and that your babysitting goes smoothly.

    I didn't notice the photos being grainy, either, BTW ... I don't have the eye that you do, but they look okay to me! :-)

    Have a great week, my friend! I'll pray for you and your family!

    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! I think she's doing pretty well. She's also got so many relatives visiting her every day and keeping her busy, which is great.
      The babysitting is tough, mostly because it's early in the morning, but I love the kids, so it's ok.(:
      Haha, I'm glad the photos don't look grainy to you! I'm super critical of them, and they looked just a by grainy yesterday...I don't think they do today, though, haha

      You have a good week too! Thank you for your prayers!

      ~Vicki

      Delete
  2. Vicki you look gorgeous!
    I've lately been having a mini obsession for high lows and that sheer skirt is amazeballs.
    Christmas in August?what!my choir too needs to start practice.By the way, I sing too.
    and your summer looks so well planned out.
    I wish we had summer holidays here in Kenya.
    I'll keep your family in prayer.
    rockingtherunway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I love high-low skirts...they just seem so elegant, and I always feel a little bit like a princess wearing them.(:
      Hehe, no, not actually Christmas in August, just it feels that way since we're starting practice so early. :P that's so cool that you sing too! Which part do you sing?

      Delete
    2. I meant that! you've started Christmas practice a whole four months before!That's admirable!
      I sing at my church called House of Grace here in Kenya!I'm in the worship team, so we sing every Sunday.
      By the way, I love how you write.You are so good!

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your grandma...I'll be praying for her! Your outfit is really cute btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so lovely! I love that dress/skirt. I can't wait to start singing Christmas music. We usually start in late September because we do a big concert before school gets out which I'm super excited about.
    I'll keep your grandmother in my prayers.
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Christmas music is the best. That sounds like such fun!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely adore this skirt and necklace! The color of the skirt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not a color I wear very often, but I really like it.(:

      Delete
  6. Love the outfit! The skirt looks really comfy but also very classy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the outfit. I like the style of those skirts and have been debating getting one.

    I am glad tot hear your grandma is recovering well. I hope it continues to go well.

    Hurray for getting a summer break! I hope you enjoy it!!

    Also, in answer to your comment. There is an environmental message in Epic, but I was shocked about how little it is. (Like, the one in The Lorax was bigger. This was more laid back and I only really picked up on it twice and it wasn't so much environmental as - hm, I can't think of a way to word it. It was more of, if I had to put a name to it, I would say Mother Nature - ish. Like, everything good will work out in the forest because there is a good queen who can make nice things grow.) Over all though it is just a fun adventure with fun characters. 8-D Anyways, when I saw the trailer I was concerned it would be all about saving the forests and how men mess it all up, but it wasn't there, which was nice. So I thought I'd pass it along to you 8-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this trend (the hi-lo skirts) and I think it looks amazing on you!!! -♥- Rachel (For the Birds)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your necklace is so pretty! I love the teardrop shapes of the stones!!

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I'd say summer starts when school is out! Sorry to hear about your Grandma! it's always scary to get news of family members ending up in the hospital, but it's a good thing she's recovering quickly! :) Your belt is really cute!

    ReplyDelete