Monday, September 3, 2012

The Pirate Queen








Shirt: Borrowed from my mother / Elizabethan Corset: Made by me / Skirt: Made by me / Shoes: Claire's / Necklace: eBay / Fascinator: Made by me

The day of the Renaissance faire was one of the hottest of the summer. I was planning on wearing a heavy overskirt to match the corset, but with a weather forecast of 91* with high humidity, I decided to leave my ambitions of being a courtly lady behind me and become a sophisticated lady pirate instead. As I couldn't find a suitable blouse, I borrowed one from my mom (who told me I was not allowed to sweat in it!). I froze two water bottles in the freezer to carry around and keep cool while walking (I had given up on being completely period accurate as I tend to melt in anything over 80*). My little sister snuck in a spray bottle so we could mist ourselves, which was a life saver! I think the day's high was a whopping 96*...what saved me was probably my excitement--we saw jousts and pirate battles, petted camels, wandered booths filled with various oddities, and tapped our toes to a highland band (I do love the bagpipes!). I spent most of my time searching for a parasol. I had declared the night before that the first thing I wanted to do when I got there was to purchase a parasol, but I couldn't find any! In the end, I happened on a small stall with a handful of colorful parasols. I quickly selected a pretty blue one, to match my skirt. Unfortunately...we left soon after, so I hardly had any time to enjoy it at the fair! As you can see, though--I had plenty of fun with it at home!

The faire was good fun...I went with my aunt (our driver!), my youngest sister, and two friends--a gypsy and a fellow pirate (she looked much more bloodthirsty than I did!). I think we manage to have a good time despite the heat!

Have any of you ever been to a Ren faire? Did you dress up?

9 comments:

  1. So beautiful Vicki :) and the camel..waoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to one, I don't think they've ever had one in our area, but it sounds like lots of fun! And your outfit...WOW!!!! You look amazing! (As always) I think your outfit was very well put together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been, but would love to! You adapted your ensemble to suit the weather perfectly. Everything looks so beautiful! And your new parasol so simply lovely:)

    --Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Vicki! You look absolutely lovely! Love your outfit!! And your parasol...love it=)

    I've never been to a Ren faire, but I've been to plenty of Mountain Man Rendezvous in costume! They're so much fun. I'd love to go to a faire someday, though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so pretty in this outfit! (:

    Lizzy <3
    www.prettymodestbffs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! I'd love to do something like that sometime! Sounds like so much fun!
    That's such a bummer we didn't get to meet! I would've loved to have met you! Although I was incredibly groggy and tired-so I wouldn't have been myself! :)
    No, we didn't get to ride the Jungle Cruise in the night. We spent a lot of time in California Adventure-went on Grizzly Run like 10 times! And yes, of course! Splash Mountain! Went on that one like 4 times! Love that last drop! Crazy! You know how you said you melt? I melt at 75...so water rides were welcome! I can recall yelling something like "SOAK ME! SOAK ME!" LOL!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I awarded you:)
    http://natashamarieh.blogspot.com/2012/09/fabulous-blog-ribbon-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely!!!!!! Very very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute, Vicki! You did an awesome job on the corset!
    I can remember a few times where I have had to change my outfit for an event close to last minute. I usually don't like it at first, but I end up loving it!

    Brigid :)

    ReplyDelete