Monday, February 18, 2013

On New Year's Eve...


Dress, Jacket: JC Penneys // Fleece-Lined Tights: Gift // Shoes: Target // Earrings, Clutch: My Grandmother's // Slip: DIY

On New Year's Eve (which already seems like so long ago...), I dressed up for church and an after-church party at the home of a family friend. The dress had been picked up on a birthday shopping spree for a whopping $7 at JC Penneys, and the slip was sewn that day in a mad rush to get it finished before church. I loved the vintage-inspired detail on the top, but I wasn't a fan of the length, which hit me about mid-thigh, so to add a bit of length, I deconstructed an old tulle skirt I'd bought off the Target clearance rack. I used the lining of the skirt for the top, and then created a tulle ruffle along the bottom...about a half hour later, I had a new slip! The tulle added a little bit to the length along with a fun feminine detail. And since it's a slip, it can be layered under other dresses and skirts as well! Then I layered on a pair of thick, fleece tights underneath. And then...for a bit of sparkle, I wore my glittery pumps that I picked up at Target (also off the clearance rack). They're absolutely frivolous, but perfect for the holiday season and for a night out. They're also unbelievably comfortable! My mom had a bit of a heart attack when she saw the heel height on these (they've got to be almost six inches), but really, they are more comfortable than my three-inch Oxford booties, which are my go-to shoes. Needless to say...I love them, and I wish there were more occasions I could wear them!

New Year's Eve was absolutely lovely...the church service was wonderful, and I had great fun at the party afterwards, sipping sparkling cider and munching on freshly baked quiche, among other things, and enjoying the fellowship of friends and relatives.

What did you ladies do to celebrate the New Year?


Photo 1 - 2012-12-22

9 comments:

  1. Hello Vicki,

    I stumbled upon your blog from Olivia's {Fresh Modesty}. I'm really enjoying perusing your blog.
    I know the name of the song that your blog is named after:). The song is Sweet Betsy from Pike. I've never heard Bing sing it, but I love The Son's of the Pioneers version. "oh Betsy, sweet Betsy my fair prairie rose, all slender and pale in your mail order clothes, all decked out in ruffles and ribbons and rings, you're just like an angel only where are your wings". Just to make sure, google the song though:).

    Blessings,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Hannah!

      And yes! That's it! I recognized the lyrics immediately. It may not have been Bing Crosby that I heard singing it, but I'm not sure. I'll have to see if I can find it.
      Thanks so much for letting me know!

      ~Vicki

      Delete
  2. This is so pretty! I really like the colors; they go really well together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful outfit, Vicki! Although I do have to say that I would kill myself if I wore those shoes! One step on the ice..pow...I like to stick to flats! :) But love them on you!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so very pretty! And your new shoes are lovely as well! Sparkly shoes are such fun, and as you said, it is a pity they cannot be worn more often.

    I like how you made the skirt appear longer. I've thought of trying things like that, putting lacy things under the skirt, but was never sure how it would look. Now that I know it doesn't look odd I think I might give it a try. Have you ever layered a longer skirt under a shorter? If so, how did that turn out? (I'm bad at fashion, so I commandeer ideas from others. *Smirk*)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and pretty outfit, Vicki! I love all the colors together - very rich and elegant! And I LOOOOVE the shoes. They're so sparkly and beautiful!! :-D

    Thanks so much for your get-well wishes - I am feeling much better today. :-) I had to take almost two whole days off school and I'm way behind ... but I'll get caught up. I sure hope you stay well this semester so you can keep on top of the busyness!!

    Have a great weekend, my friend!

    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful, beautiful pieces in this outfit. Not to mention that your texture mixing is phenomenal. It makes this outfit so interesting and unique! ♥

    ReplyDelete