Friday, March 11, 2011

An owl, a bear, and a duck

Now...you may be asking yourself - what on earth do an owl, a bear, and a duck have in common? As far as I know, the only thing that connects the three is the fact that they are all animals, but this owl, bear, and duck are very special.(; Why? Because I made them!

Did you ever play with perler beads as a kid? They are these little plastic beads that, instead of stringing them into necklaces or bracelets, you arrange on one of the plastic boards and then iron over. The beads fuse together and then you have a sweet little creation that you can turn into whatever you like....a magnet, a keychain, a hair clip, or even jewelry pieces! And the best part is, anyone can do it. You just need a a little patience and a smidgen of creativity. I made ornaments for my family years and years ago, when I was really little, and they turned out so cute! I think I still have some around somewhere...anyway, they're a great rainy day craft, and a good way to use up spare time.

Here's what I made today:

An owl...



A bear...(he's not a nice bear, as you can see from the blood on his mug. A little morbid, but cute!)



And a duck, named Donald...



Which one is your favorite?(:



If you've made anything with these, I'd love to see them!

Have a lovely day!

-Vicki

2 comments:

  1. Hi dear,these are so nice,KEWT..perfect gift for kids..but i really dont know about these plastic beads,when we iron these,so they really join together?hmm..& what about iron,will plastic stick with surface??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't know if it works with regular plastic beads...these ones have a slightly different shape. But it might work! When you iron them, you put some parchment paper (we also use it in baking) over the beads so that they don't fuse to the iron. But yeah, after you iron them, they melt together and stay! You can google perler bead projects and come up with some pretty amazing examples.

    ReplyDelete