Thursday, April 23, 2015

what i made: the little mint sundress


//dress: handmade / necklaces: charlotte russe / shoes: vintage/thrifted//

Hey everyone! Although I wasn't planning on it, I ended up taking a bit of a hiatus from blogging. I may or may not have mentioned it before, but I'm in my last half-semester of college, and that meant researching and writing my undergraduate thesis. I thought I was so prepared for everything, then my schedule filled up with other life things, and well, it ended up being a frantic rush to finalize research and pump out thirty pages of writing in addition to keeping up with my other class. Well, I don't remember the last time I was this stressed, but the worst is over now that I've submitted my initial draft for comments. Now, I'm overwhelmed with relief to have that off my back for the moment.

Anyway...that's why blogging was pushed to the back burner, since I needed to focus on school and preserving my sanity. I haven't taken outfit photos in a while, but I still wanted to share something with ya'll...these photos have been sitting on my computer since summer time, and I figured I should probably wait to share them until the warmer weather rolled around again...and well, it's finally spring, soooo...

I made this sundress last summer, when I was only taking one class at school, had just finished my nannying job, and was bored out of my mind. I decided I needed something to occupy my time and get the creative juices flowing, so I pulled out this mint-green vintage fabric I'd found at Goodwill, sketched a quick design, and got to work. I used a pattern for the top and improvised it so I could have the scalloped, button-down back with the little cut-out. The skirt I kept simple by just sewing together a couple of rectangles. 

It's a bit tight at the top (which tends to be the mistake I make most in sewing), and I probably should've lined the top as well, but other than that, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. The back turned out just as cute as I'd envisioned, and it was far less frustrating than it could've been. I'm interested to see what variations I could make on the design. :)

I'll talk to ya'll soon! I've at least got a few more hiking posts lined up that I'm looking forward to sharing. 


9 comments:

  1. These photos are so beautiful! I love your dress also- the back is just adorable, and what a great fabric find!
    I hope school gets less stressful for you soon! :)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is adorable!! Excited to see more posts :)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sweetest dress...I adore the color and the way you've accessorized it...lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this dress. I really want one just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute Vicki.. Love this color specially.. perfect for summer & spring theme..

    As I am celebrating my 5th blogversary, so here is a giveaway to enter :)
    http://creativekhadija.com/2015/04/5th-blogversary-creative-khadija-giveaway/

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really adorable! I love it! I like the back especially, very cute.

    I hope you can relax a bit now. Getting such an important paper done is a big relief I'm sure. Hopefully you can have a nice, enjoyable summer now that it is approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is just to cute!
    -Margaret
    http://happyinheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. um, this is darling and so are you!! oh, my goodness. I am enchanted by the color and it looks absolutely ravishing on you, m'dear. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you searching for ,weded flower girl dresses wellington reviews here you can find best and cheap dresses for yourself, welcome please!weded bridal dresses online reviews

    ReplyDelete