Friday, June 20, 2014

styling maxi skirts for "travel-sized" gals

//skirt, belt, sandals, necklace: thrifted / t-shirt: target / earrings: forever 21//

I'm a bit of a shorty—my 6"2 boyfriend calls me "travel-sized." So styling maxi skirts in a way so that they flatter me and don't make me look short and frumpy can be a challenge. Still, I love maxi skirts—they're super comfy, can be casual or dressy, are great for all seasons, and I don't have to worry about them creeping up and exposing too much skin, no matter what I'm doing, which is a major plus for me. This maxi skirt, in particular, is made of the softest jersey, and it swirls so nicely around my ankles when I walk. When I wear maxi skirts, I try to elongate my figure by wearing a fitted top, usually either more of a crop top, tucked in at the waist (a long necklace can be elongating as well!). I find that longer tops and sweaters can stunt my figure and just prove unflattering. 

What are your tips for styling maxi skirts? 

Anyway, life is picking up the pace again, and I'm enjoying it (this week, though, is it really only Thursday??). I started my summer class (Constitutional law) on Monday, and I'm working ahead so I can take a mini-vacation to head down to a Church convention next week. Meanwhile, with all I've got going on, my room has degenerated into a slight pigsty...it's kinda terrible. I'll have to see about making time to clean before I go crazy with all the mess. ;)

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22

10 comments:

  1. I think it would be hard for me to wear most maxi skirts because they are often knit and clingy, and I have a pear figure and don't want the cling to my thighs (my skirts are mostly all gathered and full). I like that your skirt seems to be a less linear cut and more circular. I have seen full circular ones on Pinterest but not really for sale. Everyone seems to be wearing maxi skirts now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty look on you! I have some maxi dresses, but I never seem to wear them. I don't think they look that great on me (I'm 5'7" and my curvy shape usually looks better in a fit and flare silhouette), but I really like the look on other people!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this whole outfit, but especially your necklace! :)
    -Lauren
    www.musingsofaflowerchild.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit is so simple, yet so cute! You definitely make me want to minimalize my outfits more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that necklace! And you make maxi skirts looks good :) They look terrible on me :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful photos. I love your outfit and location :)

    stop by,
    http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE maxi skirts. they are the most comfortable thing like, ever. and THAT NECKLACE! <3

    you are gorgeous as always.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I love that! I'm 5' 3" so I know what you mean about being short. I've heard of fun size, but I REALLY like travel-size better! (Maybe because I love to travel, huh, ^_-) Anyways, your outfit is adorable! I love my maxi skirts! I'm a little chubby, so I know what you mean about the struggle. ;) I just stick with straight, fitted skirts mostly. If it does have flair it needs to look straight down when I'm standing still. I usually try to wear more fitted tops that don't bunch up or flair out at the waist. I only wear looser tops with pencil skirts. Just my spin on clothing fit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same trouble with those kinds of skirts. I love them because I can spin in them and they are fun and midievel feeling to run in and I enjoy wearing them. I just have to find a way to style them

    ReplyDelete