Tuesday, March 18, 2014

the first glimpses of spring

//cardigan: H&M / tee: gap / dress (worn as skirt): target / belt: JCP / tights: fred meyer / shoes: thrifted / necklace and bracelet: gifts / coat: ???//

A couple weeks ago, we had nearly a full week of sun and almost warm weather. In fact, so sunny I actually had to wrestle with the harsh lighting for these pictures—usually that's not a problem! Of course, the lighting changed to something more ideal as we finished taking these shots, about the time I out my coat back on. It's interesting how I notice the lighting more now as I get better used to taking pictures—before, I didn't care about lighting, so long as there was light. Now I've gotten better at finding more ideal light and avoiding at least harsh glares or shadows, and it really shows as I look back over my past photos, even over the last year or so. Of course, that means I'm much more picky about blog photos now, but that's ok. 

Anyway, of late I've been very much drawn towards shades of black and white and gray in what I wear. Monochromatic looks like this are so easy, and I think they give off a classy air, though they can still be fun. And they're just really versatile colors—so many options for remixing! For example, I don't think I've ever worn this black and white print dress the same way twice, and it's become the most-worn dress in my closet (it also has pockets!). 

Photo 1 - 2012-12-22






11 comments:

  1. That's a really cute outfit.... who takes your pictures?? They're really good.

    OH I nominated you for the Liebster Award! (I'm sorry. lol.) http://teresadelallo.blogspot.com/2014/03/so-many-tags-so-little-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting how some people are drawn toward monochromatic and neutrals (my grandmother always used to get on one of my sisters for wearing grey all. the. time) while I almost don't ever want to wear neutrals (especially now after wearing grey skirts most of the winter, my winter wardrobe needs a bit of help).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so long since you posted, Vicki! Good to "see" you again!
    I love this outfit! And those shoes are awesome!
    Natasha
    A modest fashion blog: www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the print mixing going on here! You look great in the darker shades!

    www.room-334.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your shoes! They look so Downton Abbey-ish. :)

    HP

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tagged you for the Sunshine blogger award if you participate in tags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The outfit is very cute, and we especially love your black shoes!

    Pepper tends to go for clothing in whites, grays, and blacks as well; and yes, these colors are classy. I dress more in shades of brown.

    Pepper & Spice

    ReplyDelete
  8. A dress with pockets is VERY rare! They need pockets in more dresses and skirts. (I like the whole outfit. I've been wanting to try one of those short, long skirts or dresses. They look like fun to wear.)

    ReplyDelete